How Runs Can Change the Way You Play 🎹🎶Nov 18, 2022
Can we just talk about “It's Yours” by Jekalyn Carr?
The first time I heard this song, I was blown away by all of the incredible piano runs. The Melody 20 years ago would have played without them, but now I’m up for the challenge. I want to share how I learn these:
Tricks for Playing Challenging Runs
- First, figure out what your finger placement will be.
- Practice the run slow with a metronome so your fingers can learn the muscle memory
- Now play the run with your eyes closed (this will help your fingers learn to play the run naturally)
The real secret to mastering difficult runs is to make sure that you can play them perfectly every time. Here’s how…
How to Master Difficult Runs
1. Using a metronome, speed the tempo up faster than it should be and play it over and over.
2. Now slow it back down to normal tempo and it will feel easy to play.
Once you’ve learned a new run, it’s not time to stop. If you just learn 1 run for a specific song, you’re just learning that song. Here’s a tip…you want to make sure that any time you learn something new, you’re allowing it to make you a better musician.
How Runs Can Change the Way You Play
1. Learn the run in every key
2. Even if you think you may never play it in those keys
3. This will build your confidence to play the run
4. Practice adding the run to every key you can think of.
Here’s to being the best piano player you can be! I’m cheering you on!!
If it's been your dream to play the piano but you don't know where to start. Join My Free Jump-Start Piano Lessons.